Artists Registry.com Message Board

Arts Community Message Board - To use this board you must become a registered user. It's free and separate from your Membership registration. Select the Registration link, choose a username and password and post your message in a forum.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Master Artists-in-Residence Program

Next Application deadline Sunday, September 17, 2017!

Atlantic Center for the Arts is now accepting applications for our Master Artists-in-Residency Program. Spend three weeks developing your work with the personal support and mentorship of internationally renowned masters in the visual arts, literature, music composition, and choreography. Participation is limited to 8 people for each Master Artist. Click here for full program details.

Located just four miles from the east coast beaches of central Florida, Atlantic Center for the Arts has provided artists from around the world with spaces to live, work, and collaborate since 1982. The pine and palmetto wooded environment contains six award-winning studios that include a resource library, writer's studio, painting studio, sculpture studio, music studio, dance studio, and black box theater.

Each residency session includes three Master Artists of different disciplines. Through a formal application process administered by ACA, each Master Artist will select 8 residency participants. During the residency, artists participate in formal sessions with their group, collaborate on projects, and work independently. The relaxed atmosphere provides considerable time for artistic regeneration and creation.

Upcoming Residency Opportunities

Residency #168
Sunday, February 18, 2018 - Saturday, March 10, 2018
Application Deadline:
Sunday, September 17, 2017

Master Artists:

Robert Normandeau, electroacoustic composer
Normandeau's compositions employ esthetical criteria whereby he creates a 'cinema for the ear' in which 'meaning' as well as 'sound' become the elements that elaborate his works.

Jules de Balincourt, visual artist
Jules de Balincourt is a French-American contemporary artist, based in Brooklyn, New York. He is best known for his abstract, atmospheric paintings with saturated colors, blurring the line between fantasy and reality.

Pam Houston, fiction
Award-winning Writer & Teacher, Author of Contents May Have Shifted. "Ms. Houston snaps along in a sassy canter, her prose sharp and clean and full of sentences worth underlining." -NY Times Book Review

Residency #169
Sunday, May 13, 2018 - Saturday, June 02, 2018
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 3, 2017

Master Artists:

Sheron Wray, choreographer
Sheron Wray is a former U.K NESTA Fellow (National Endowment for Science Technology and the Arts - similar to the MacArthur Awards)-an improviser, choreographer, director, teacher and scholar.

Claire Pentecost, visual artist
"The motivation for my work is to learn about the world I live in, the world that hosts and sustains me, a world called earth. For this basic project, I think of myself as a public amateur, someone who consents to start with "I don't know" and proceeds by learning things in public view, public so that we can put the process of learning itself in a space reserved for debating values, the discursive space we designate as art."

Terrance Hayes, poet
Terrance Hayes is the author of five collections of poetry, including How To Be Drawn in 2015. His honors include a 2010 National Book Award, a 2014 MacArthur Fellowship and a 2016 NAACP Image Award for Poetry.

Residency #170
Sunday, June 24, 2018 - Saturday, July 14, 2018
Application Deadline: Sunday, January 21, 2018

Master Artists:

Tracie Morris, experimental poet/sound poet
Tracie Morris is an American poet, performer, vocalist, page-based writer, critic, scholar, bandleader, actor, and multimedia performer originally from Brooklyn, New York. Morris' sound poetics have long been progressive in allowing the poem to breathe off the page. She is currently a Professor, and Coordinator of Performance and the Performance Studies at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York.

Matt Madden, cartoonist
"I'm a cartoonist and teacher best known for my book 99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style (Penguin), a comics adaptation of Raymond Queneau's Exercises in Style. Thanks to that book I was made a member of Oubapo, Workshop for Potential Comics, and later a French knight in the Order of Arts and Letters".

Laura Schwendinger, composer
Among her many honors, Laura Elise Schwendinger is a 2016 recipient of a National Opera Center's Discovery grant, and is the first composer to win the American Academy in Berlin Prize.

Residency #171
Sunday, October 14, 2018 - Saturday, November 03, 2018
Application Deadline: Sunday, May 13, 2018

Master Artists:

Maria de Alvear, composer
The German-Spanish composer Maria de Alvear was officially honored with the Spanish National Award for Music on June 1, 2016. King Felipe VI and Queen Leticia of Spain presented Maria de Alvear with the prize in Palencia Cathedral.

Isaac Julien, installation artist / filmmaker
In 2017, Isaac Julien received the Charles Wollaston Award, for most distinguished work at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, and was awarded the title Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the Queen's birthday honours, 2017.

Check ACA's website http://www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org for updates periodically

Atlantic Center for the Arts
1414 Art Center Avenue. New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
(386) 427 - 6975
http://www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org

Program Department:
Nick Conroy, Program and Residency Director - conroy@atlanticcenterforthearts.org
Ivan Riascos, Program Assistant - iriascos@atlanticcenterforthearts.org